“Official” New Testament Scripture Mastery Keywords and Phrases
If you’ve looked online at all, you have found there are several keywords and key phrase lists for scripture mastery passages. Every person seems to use their own. To make matters more confusing, the Church uses two sets of what I call key words and key phrases. It’s more than a little confusing.
Below is a list of both sets of the Church’s keywords and key phrases for the New Testament scripture mastery passages. I was originally going to have my students make up their own or make some myself, but I have since decided it’s better to use the ones published by the church for continuity.
New Testament Key Words
I call these “keywords” because they do not always include direct quotes from the scriptures. This list is found on the brownish 100 verse scripture mastery book mark given to Freshmen when they enter Seminary:
1. Matthew 5:14–16. Light of the world
2. Matthew 6:24. We cannot serve two masters.
3. Matthew 16:15–19. Thou art the Christ.
4. Matthew 25:40. Unto the least of these
5. Luke 24:36–39. Handle me, and see.
6. John 3:5. Born of water and of the Spirit
7. John 7:17. Do God’s will to know His doctrine.
8. John 10:16. Other sheep
9. John 14:15. If ye love me
10. John 17:3. Know the only true God.
11. Acts 7:55–56. Godhead
12. Romans 1:16. Not ashamed of the gospel
13. 1 Corinthians 10:13. God will help us escape temptation.
14. 1 Corinthians 15:20–22. Christ overcame the Fall.
15. 1 Corinthians 15:29. Baptism for the dead
16. 1 Corinthians 15:40–42. Degrees of glory
17. Ephesians 4:11–14. Perfect the Saints.
18. 2 Thessalonians 2:1–3. Apostasy foretold
19. 2 Timothy 3:1–5. Perilous times shall come.
20. 2 Timothy 3:16–17. All scripture is given by inspiration.
21. Hebrews 5:4. Priesthood conferred
22. James 1:5–6. If you lack wisdom, ask God.
23. James 2:17–18. Faith without works is dead.
24. Revelation 14:6–7. Restoration of the gospel foretold
25. Revelation 20:12–13. Judged out of the books
New Testament Scripture Mastery Key Phrases
I call these “key phrases” because they are actual quotes from the scriptures. These are what I will use in my class to teach scriptures mastery because I think if you’re going to spend time memorizing, you ought to focus on actual scripture wording. This list is found on the New Testament timeline bookmark.
Matthew 5:14–16 “Ye are the light of the world.”
Matthew 6:24 “No man can serve two masters.”
Matthew 16:15–19 “Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
Matthew 25:40 If “ye have done it unto one of the least …, ye have done it unto me.”
Luke 24:36–39 “A spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.”
John 3:5 “Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.”
John 7:17 “If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine.”
John 10:16 “Other sheep I have, which are not of this fold.”
John 14:15 “If ye love me, keep my commandments.”
John 17:3 “This is life eternal, that they might know … God, and Jesus Christ.”
Acts 7:55–56 Stephen “being full of the Holy Ghost, … saw … the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.”
Romans 1:16 “I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ.”
1 Corinthians 10:13 “God … will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able.”
1 Corinthians 15:20–22 “As in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.”
1 Corinthians 15:29 “If the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?”
1 Corinthians 15:40–42 “There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars.”
Ephesians 4:11–14 “And he gave … apostles; … prophets; … evangelists; … pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints.”
2 Thessalonians 2:1–3 “That day [the Second Coming of Christ] shall not come, except there come a falling away first.”
2 Timothy 3:1–5 “From such [the wicked] turn away.”
2 Timothy 3:16–17 “All scripture is given by inspiration of God.”
Hebrews 5:4 “No man taketh this honour [the priesthood] unto himself.”
James 1:5–6 “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God.”
James 2:17–18 Faith without works is dead.
Revelation 14:6–7 “I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel.”
Revelation 20:12–13 “The dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books.”
Annoyingly, the scripture mastery key phrase for James 2:17-18 does not contain a direct quote. I am going to use the actual quote: “faith, if it hath not works, is dead”.