Develop talents by learning and demonstrating camping skills.
Strengthen families by-
1. Inviting family members to observe the contest.
2. Asking fathers to be the judges.
Young Women Areas of Focus
Recreation and the world of nature-
by developing life-preservation skills.
by strengthening family relaÂtionships by inviting family members to observe the contest.
People who can help
Site for the contest
Equipment needed in the different events
Food for lunch
How to do it
1. Decide on the events to be included in the contest. Write how each event is to be conducted and how it will be judged.
2. Give information on the contest and details of each event to the youth. Do this several weeks before the event.
3. Consider using the following topics as events in your campcraft contest. Let each participating group or person show how well he understands and can demonstrate these activities.
a. First aid.
b. Artificial respiration.
c. Knot tying.
d. Using knots.
g. Nature collection.
h. Nature identification.
I. Compass use.
m. Map reading.
n. Ax sharpening and using an ax.
o. Knife sharpening and using a knife.
p. Fire building.
q. Fire extinguishing.
r. Natural shelter building.
From “The Activity Book”, Camping, pp 157-171. available from Church Distribution for $6.00.